Monday, October 12, 2009

Metacognition

Looking back on my essay, I realize I followed the prompt and filled in all the blanks Mr. Allen asked of me. I reviewed my comma usage, added a few semi-colons here and there, and made sure my topic sentences flowed with the paragraphs.

But is that all that is required of me? Just following the rubric to earn points? As we have discussed in class, writing is about discovering. I learned through writing my essay that it feels good to get my thoughts out in an organized manner. Sure, I like following the rubric, using the guidelines to assist me through the essay. But, I think the rules for the essay should be guidelines, and not set rules.

Is writing ever set in stone anyways? If we are so confined to rules, limited with our topics, won't all of our essays soon morph together? Of course, there are many ideas throughout the text. We might all have different topics, but our structures are all the same. Then again, you can have complex thoughts portrayed in simple structures. Aren't different, unique structures part of what make great books, great books?

As much as I wanted to go outside the set rules for the essay, I knew I couldn't. After all, I am an Academy student and I do care about my grades. But I found trouble finding my own voice through this essay. If I were to go back, I would reassess my sentences and make sure it sounds more like me. My grade will be happy for following the structures, but my creative writing skills will not.

P.S. sorry for going a little outside the guidelines(definitely not as bad as Sean's though ;))

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
E-mail Me!