Sunday, November 1, 2009

360 Degrees: Musical Taste

What does it mean to have good taste in music? Music is one of the most subjective things since it differs from person to person. As we grow older, change our opinions, and learn new ideas, our music taste changes. If we hear something on the radio we like, our music knowledge is enhanced. Why do we like certain kinds of music? What is the appeal? I think the music we enjoy has to be related to what kind of person we are.

The first music I remember hearing is my mom singing a lullaby to me. This cannot be where my music taste is derived from. Once we start hearing music on the radio and we understand what the music means, we can begin to actually appreciate music. It seems to be outside influences that tell us what to like. Radio stations tell us their music is the best, so when we were younger, we believed them. Until we mature and can fully understand music, we cannot know exactly what we like. After we have heard different genres, artists, and songs, can we decide what is best.

One's music taste isn't always confined to one genre of music, although sometimes it is. Why do some people keep themselves to one type of music, and never stray away? I have a friend who is obsessed with the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Led Zepplin, and Pink Floyd. Now don't get me wrong, those bands are decent, and I love listening and playing to their songs. But I cannot imagine my world with just those bands. I seem to flip flop between classic rock, alternative, and even some pop. Does having a wider liking of music make you a better person, though? Because I like a variety of music, maybe I have a better perspective. Surely it is better to be open to different things. I have also been argued that you shouldn't force yourself to try new things, especially when you know you won't like it. Then again, how can anyone know if they like something unless they try it?

When I listen to the radio, I soon find a new song that I like. This means my perspective and taste is changing by the minute. Therefor, can we even define what our music taste is? If we are always changing, which is human nature after all, why are we trying to define ourselves? Humans need labels. It's the need for materialism stored deep inside of us. When someone asks what kind of music you like, maybe you list a few bands or the genre you most enjoy. When you do this, you are leaving out huge chunks of yourself. Each song you have listened to changed or motivated you in some way. Emotions stream from music. A sad song makes you depressed; a happy song makes you feel good.

Saying you have good taste in music is like saying you like pizza. Almost everyone likes pizza; its universal. Everyone thinks they have good taste in music. What I don't understand is how we can even begin to judge each others taste. We all love music, it doesn't really matter what type. Music is an expression of human feelings. When you listen to music, its you, the song, and your feelings. I'd like to think that my friends opinions on my music taste matters, but it really doesn't. If you love music, you'll eventually learn to appreciate all of it. Sure, you might never grow too fond of classic operas or heavy metal, but maybe someday you will see the beauty in both.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree! I was just discussing this with my parents. In the car, John Mayer's song was on. I said, "I love John Mayer." My mom said, "You need more Jason Mraz." We went on discussing Jason Mraz vs. John Mayer. My dad brought up that a lot of rock bands don't like John Mayer, for various reasons. I thought, why can't they just appreciate the music? In my mind, it doesn't matter if they went to a prestigious music school or if they dropped out of high school to find a rich producer in L.A. and started auto tuning their voice. What matters in the end is the music. We all have a different attraction to different kinds of music. Cool. But let's not be judgmental or narrowminded. I appreciate the fact that music, all kinds of it, tells us stories. Whether it be rap, classical, country, or rock, "when words leave off, music expresses the unexpressable." Appreciate the effort of people to make music. To tell a story. It just so happens, there are many different ways to tell it.

    ReplyDelete

 
E-mail Me!